For a majority of the month of October, our class has been working hard to develop wind powered cars! We began by researching the shapes of the fastest race cars, and also discussing things we could add to our cars to help them 'catch the wind'.
We examined wind socks and sails and thought about how these objects help to move an object using wind power. We designed and built our first prototype, tested them, and averaged our results. Next, we analyzed which aspects of our designs were effective and which could be improved. Our Middle School Buddies helped us make some changes to our cars, and we tested again with the goal of increasing our speed from our previous trials. Every single group managed to beat their first score by a HUGE amount. Way to go!!
After our tests were over, students were asked to determine why their changes made a difference in their car's speed. They were also asked to rate themselves on a scale of 1-10 on how well they believed they worked together with their group members to design, build, and test their prototypes. Our communication and problem solving skills continue to improve during these group activities, and I am so excited to see what they will be creating as the year progresses!